Casey and Maddy..
The gang...


One of our favorite hikes is to a place we call "top of the world". It's close to our house and is also the highest point around. You can basically see 360 degrees around the valley. Here, we were actually clay pigeon shooting with some friends. It was a little cold ...
In high school I ran the mile in track. I ran against an incredible runner named Maria Zeller. She lived about 40 miles from where I grew up. She was amazing and beat everyone she ran against, including me. We moved to our little town in the mnts and low and behold Maria was here (what a small world). We've become great friends and decided this summer to run together to get in better shape. As we were running Maria came up with a "great" idea that we should train for the 5K race that was coming up in August. The race was called "The Gut Buster". The slogan was "It's a hill, get over it", doesn't sound fun does it? I know, some people train for marathons, half marathons, 10K's, but me....a 5K sounded like a marathon. I was incredibly nervous. But...this was my chance to go back in time and beat the infamous Maria. We had two months to train and we worked hard. So the race began and I jumped ahead (I'm right behind the Hard Rock guys and she's in the yellow shirt not too far behind)....
I didn't get far before she caught right back up. We ran the whole race side by side...
She kept saying, "if you need to run ahead, go for it..." while I was thinking, "show no weakness, just stay with her"...
So the final sprint to the finish line. Out of body experience coming on, legs weakening....
So no photo finish but I beat her!!! For the first and probably last time I leaned at the end and beat her by half a hair. But I didn't care. I did it. We got first in our age group and 8th and 9th overall. We ran it in 23:37. Not amazing times but for us who started a few months before the race, we were pumped. Matt ran the race too and finished just ahead of us. I was so proud of him. He's become quite the runner and has much more determination then I. His next goal is to run from HS to Granby (10 miles).

In high school I ran the mile in track. I ran against an incredible runner named Maria Zeller. She lived about 40 miles from where I grew up. She was amazing and beat everyone she ran against, including me. We moved to our little town in the mnts and low and behold Maria was here (what a small world). We've become great friends and decided this summer to run together to get in better shape. As we were running Maria came up with a "great" idea that we should train for the 5K race that was coming up in August. The race was called "The Gut Buster". The slogan was "It's a hill, get over it", doesn't sound fun does it? I know, some people train for marathons, half marathons, 10K's, but me....a 5K sounded like a marathon. I was incredibly nervous. But...this was my chance to go back in time and beat the infamous Maria. We had two months to train and we worked hard. So the race began and I jumped ahead (I'm right behind the Hard Rock guys and she's in the yellow shirt not too far behind)....
I didn't get far before she caught right back up. We ran the whole race side by side...
She kept saying, "if you need to run ahead, go for it..." while I was thinking, "show no weakness, just stay with her"...
So the final sprint to the finish line. Out of body experience coming on, legs weakening....
So no photo finish but I beat her!!! For the first and probably last time I leaned at the end and beat her by half a hair. But I didn't care. I did it. We got first in our age group and 8th and 9th overall. We ran it in 23:37. Not amazing times but for us who started a few months before the race, we were pumped. Matt ran the race too and finished just ahead of us. I was so proud of him. He's become quite the runner and has much more determination then I. His next goal is to run from HS to Granby (10 miles).
We had some good times with cousins this summer. Here we went to Nana and Papa's community swimming pool and had a great time swimming with the fam. Here's Tommy and Annabelle enjoying the shallow end...
Cally and Calvin in the deeper end...

Another hike but near Grand Lake (can't remember the name)....
This year in July we had a family reunion in the Big Horn Mnts in Wyoming. My Aunt Karen from Texas was coming into town with all of her kids and their kids. So a family reunion was organized. We had a great time catching up with family and cousins. My Aunt Karen was put in charge of the activities. They played various games, had a fishing pond, ran races, decorated bug catchers, ate candy, ate candy, and ate some more candy. They were in heaven....


One of my favorite things to do in the mnts growing up was creek fishing. My kids realized my love for it...Casey caught 11 brookies...
Cally caught quite a few too but we stopped counting...
We saw some really cool moose which was a treat....
After a few nights of camping we went back down the mnt to my parents house and enjoyed the yearly festivities of the 24th celebration. It was full of sports, and fun for the kids. Matt and I played in the basketball tournament, ran the 5K, and competed in the volleyball tournament. We finished exhausted but we were in heaven. Here are Cally and Cody during the parade...
One of my favorite things to do in the mnts growing up was creek fishing. My kids realized my love for it...Casey caught 11 brookies...
After a few nights of camping we went back down the mnt to my parents house and enjoyed the yearly festivities of the 24th celebration. It was full of sports, and fun for the kids. Matt and I played in the basketball tournament, ran the 5K, and competed in the volleyball tournament. We finished exhausted but we were in heaven. Here are Cally and Cody during the parade...
No comments:
Post a Comment